Course OutlineThe Professional Chef Qualification has been developed to provide aspiring chefs with a fundamental grounding in all disciplines relating to the production of top quality cuisine,health and safety measures and the ability to manage a kitchen. It brings together elements of food and beverage preparation and service as well as management and is applicable to all sectors of the Hospitality Industry ranging from small restaurants to large-scale hotels. The qualification builds on other certificates and diplomas and provides articulation with Gaming, Travel and other Tourism industries.
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
Study LocationsThis course is currently available to students at our Pretoria Campus.
The Professional Chefs Qualification consists of theory as well as practical components which cover the following topics:
- The Fundamental Cooking Principles and Methods
- Culinary French
- Events Management
- Understanding Cultural Diversity
- Managing Conflict, and Sustaining Effective Communication within a Team
- Basic Management and Human Resource Practices
- Financial Principles pertaining to Budgets, Food Costing, Wastage, Pilferage and Storage
- Certificate in Events Support Assistant: Operations (EVM/E/VSUPASSOP/4/0002)
QCTO Qualification included:
- Occupational Certificate: Chef (SAQA ID:101697)
City and Guilds International Qualification included:
- Diploma in Food Preparation and Culinary Arts (8065-02)
- Food Safety in Catering (8065-203)
City and Guilds International Advanced Diploma:
- Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision (8065-04)
- International Wine Course – Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Award in Wines Level 1
- First Aid Level 1
- Basic Computer Course (MS Word & Excel)
Programme costs available on request.
Chef students are placed and monitored at some of the leading hotels, restaurants and conference venues in Pretoria and CHS is proud to have long standing relationships with these establishments. These practical placements ensure that our students are ready for employment upon completion of the course as they have gained invaluable workplace experience.