Course OutlineThe Professional Chef Qualification – Specialisation Pastry has been developed to provide aspiring chefs with a fundamental grounding in all disciplines relating to the production of top quality cuisine,health and safety measures and the ability to manage a kitchen. This qualification enables students to gain full a Chef’s qualification with the benefits of specializing in the pastry field. It brings together elements of food and beverage preparation and service as well as management and is applicable to all sectors of the Hospitality Industry ranging from small restaurants to large-scale hotels. The qualification builds on other certificates and diplomas and provides articulation with Gaming, Travel and other Tourism industries.
I have dreams of becoming a professional pastry chef and having a little bakery – that’s how much I love baking. I love to cook in general, but my heart lies in desserts. KIM BARNOUINIn their third year chef students will further specialise in and focus on the preparation, cooking and finishing of a wide range of pastry creations. A fully functional pastry kitchen has many more challenges to enable a young chef to “strut one’s stuff”, therefore training includes more than only cooking.
Study LocationsThis course is currently available to students at our Pretoria Campus.
The Professional Chefs Qualification – Specialisation Pastry consists of theory as well as practical components which cover the following topics:
- The Fundamental Cooking Principles and Methods
- Culinary French
- Events Management
- Understanding Cultural Diversity
- Managing Conflict, and Sustaining Effective Communication within a Team
- Basic Management and Human Resource Practices
- Financial Principles pertaining to Budgets, Food Costing, Wastage, Pilferage and Storage
- Patisserie Techniques
- National Certificate in Patisserie (SAQA ID: 73292)
- Certificate in Events Support Assistant: Operations (EVM/E/VSUPASSOP/4/0002)
QCTO Qualification included:
- Occupational Certificate: Chef (SAQA ID:101697)
City and Guilds International Qualification included:
- Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking (8065-01)
- Diploma in Food Preparation and Culinary Arts (8065-02)
- Diploma in Food Preparation and Culinary Arts – Pâtisserie (8065-03)
- Award in Food Safety in Catering (8065-203)
City and Guilds International Advanced Diploma:
- Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision (8065-04)
- International Wine Course – Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Award in Wines Level 1
- First Aid Level 1
- Basic Computer Course (MS Word & Excel)
Programme costs available on request.
Chef students are placed and monitored at some of the leading hotels, restaurants and conference venues in Pretoria and CHS is proud to have long standing relationships with these establishments. These practical placements ensure that our students are ready for employment upon completion of the course as they have gained invaluable workplace experience.